Feb 5, 2008

Random Acts of Patriotism

A few weeks ago, I went out to the parking lot after work and found this magnet on the back of my car. I don't have any idea how it got there, and I had to check several times to make sure I was looking at the right vehicle. Even after I unlocked the door, I was looking around the interior to make sure I was in my car. It was a little unnerving...I had the intense feeling like I was in someone else's space.

The magnet was definitely not new, and it was broken near the top. But it still functioned (obviously) and proudly declared its message, "God Bless America". I have to admit that it is one of the more attractive ribbon-style magnets I've seen. I've see a couple of crappy ones where the artist didn't understand perspective or exactly what a folded ribbon looks like.

Anyway, there are only two ways it could have gotten there: a) it fell off of somebody else's vehicle and a passerby put it on my car thinking it was mine, or b) someone took it off of their car and put it on mine on purpose (kind of like a "random act of patriotism"). The latter is definitely my favorite, so that's what I'm going with.

I left the magnet on the car for a couple of weeks, but then I decided it was time to move it along. Someone else deserves a parking lot freak out! So one night after work, I stuck it on someone else's car and took the picture below:

Hopefully the driver will enjoy spreading the message of patriotism for a few weeks before they "pay it forward" and move it along. Or it will end up in the trash. Either way, God Bless America!

Humorous note: Both Angela and I independently came up with the phrase "Random Acts of Patriotism". Talk about a perfect match!

No comments: